Friday 5 August 2011

Hovercraft.. Do I need a motor? :)

Hey Guys,
 Well I have been experimenting with the hovercraft idea, and have made a few discoveries!

  1. The CD is easier to control if it has a 'skirt' around it, as this creates a smaller airflow area
  2. The shorter the skirt, the faster it will move
  3. If you add straws at the side of the side of the 'skirt' it slows the craft down, and makes it easier to control.
So here are some photos of all these little discoveries!





SO! After this, I have had a little look on Youtube. The thing I dont like about this project is how it is so difficult to make it move, it has to be at the exact angle, and even then it is hard! But guess what? YouTube has the answer XD!






 
This is what I want to use! Basically, a balloon has replaced the fan and motor, as the air is released it pushes the CD upwards enough to allow movement, which is what I like, however , it is uncontrollable. BUT! I have a plan! I would like to attach four of these together on a frame, and then inflating the balloons different amounts should allow different patterns of movement! I want to use straws for the frame to keep it as light as possible, and then add a skirt to improve the air flow, and maybe some straws depending on how well it works! So, I am having a quick break now to go and fetch some balloons and eat, but I will be back! Hovercraft away!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment